Blogger Fame is a meme that features a blogger once a week. Interested in being in the limelight? Enter through this form: I WANT TO BE FAMOUS FOR A DAY!
Today's celebrity is . . .
Mary from The Book Swarm!
"Finnegan and me!"
Name: Mary Brebner
Age: Old enough to know better but too young to care
Location: South Carolina
Blog Name: The Book Swarm
1) Mary, what inspired you to start your blog, The Book Swarm?
M: As an English teacher, books are my passion. I’m also a bit of a tech geek—my class is one-to-one computing (every kid has a computer), and I wanted to create a community of readers for my students and to connect them with other readers who love books. And so, tah-dah! The blog was born.
2) Is there a meaning behind your blog title, The Book Swarm?
M: It was one of my odd brainstorms that brought about the name: Ms. B—bees—beehive—books—bees swarming—book swarm!
3) What is the best and worst part about blogging?
M: I’ve met so many amazing people and been introduced to a ton of incredible books since starting this blog. That’s definitely been the best part. The worst is when I write a negative review. I know how hard it is to write a book in the first place but I also feel, as a reviewer, I need to be honest (never cruel, just honest) when giving my opinion.
4) Which is your favorite genre to review?
M: I love YA—the young adult genre is so varied and full of fantastic books.
5) What are your top five favorite books of all time?
1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
2) One Hundred and One Dalmations by Dodie Smith
3) The Stand by Stephen King
4) Emma by Jane Austen
5) Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt
6) Who is your favorite author? If you had the chance to meet them, what would you say?
M: Geeze, all these hard questions! Especially since there are so many cool authors out there. But I think I’ll have to go with Meg Cabot. She seems like a very genuine, interesting person. If I could meet her, I’d thank her for writing her entertaining stories and to please keep them coming!
7) Do you have any quirks while you write your reviews?
M: I tend to talk to my dogs when I write my reviews. They like to hear what I have to say about the books. At least, they pretend they do.
8) If you could make a fictional story come alive, which would you pick and why?
M: It’s not an original answer but I’d like the world of Harry Potter to come alive (and not just through the Universal experience!). I’d make an excellent wizard. Plus, how cool would it be to apparate wherever you wanted? Fiji, Brazil, Thailand, Ireland, Australia…I’d travel the world.
9) Currently, which book cover are you lusting over?
M: Soooo many pretty covers! At the moment, I think it’s a toss-up between Meg Cabot’s Abandon and Veronica Roth’s Divergent.
10) Which type five blogs do you continually visit?
M: You mean, besides yours? :) (E: Hehe, you're awesome
1) Confessions of a Bookaholic (book blog)
2) Steph Su Reads (book blog)
3) The Story Siren (book blog)
4) Don’t Pet Me, I’m Writing (Writer Tawna Fenske)
5) Elana Johnson (YA writer)
11) If you had to give advice to a newcomer, what would you tell them about blogging?
M: Be honest but never mean, read as much as you possibly can including tons of blogs who review what you’re reviewing, don’t be afraid to reach out and ask questions.
- Paperback or hardcover? Hardcover—they just look so pretty on my bookshelf
- Favorite guilty pleasure? Turning off all contact with the outside world and reading for an entire day
- Stalked by a sexy vampire or hot werewolf? Ooh, give me a hot-blooded werewolf anytime!
- Favorite movie? Star Wars (The classics not the new ones. Yes, I am a geek.)
- Reading while sitting or laying down? Laying down—couch or bed, with lots of pillows
- Favorite song at the moment? Closer to Love by Matt Kearney
- Three items you can't live without? My dogs, my books, my chocolate
- Craziest thing you've ever done? In college, some friends and I climbed our school’s church steeple. It was supposedly haunted by a lady who jumped to her death from the walk around the steeple. We snuck up there on a full moon and brought up a Ouija board and…nothing happened. But we were almost busted because we were giggling so much!
*Where The Blog Magic Happens*
"This big ole chair is where I do most of my writing (and a lot of reading, too!). I’ve always got to have something on hand to drink—right now, it’s Crystal Light’s Raspberry Ice in my glass. Yum. Fiona, my newest rescue pup, is keeping my seat warm."
Thank you Mary for this lovely interview. :)
Make sure you visit her blog HERE!