Blogger Fame is a meme that features a blogger once a week. I currently have a lot of entries, once it clears up, I'll add the link to join again.
Today's celebrity is . . .
Shanyn from Chick Loves Lit!
Blog: Chick Loves Lit
1) Shanyn, what inspired you to start your blog, Chick Loves Lit?
S: I've always one that liked to keep track of things and make lists. I originally kept track of all of the movies I watched by writing small reviews of what I thought of them and posting them on a website (in 2004 or so), but realized after awhile that I was much more interested in my reading habit than watching movies. By then (in 2009), blogs were a popular platform to use, so I started keeping track of my lists and thoughts about books that way :)
2) What's the meaning behind your blog title?
S: When I first started Chick Loves Lit I was a big fan of the chick lit genre - Jennifer Weiner, Jane Green, etc and the name came to me after a little brainstorming. Since then I've moved almost exclusively to young adult literature, but still enjoy contemporary books the most.
3) What is the best and worst part about blogging?
S: The best part of blogging for me is how much I've learned about the world of literature and publishing since I started. I love being able to talk books with almost anyone because of how much I expose myself to on a daily basis (upcoming books, popular reads, debut authors). I also, of course, love the people I've met through blogging who also love books a whole lot :) Something I really don't like about blogging is how unprofessional some individuals can be - I don't like thinking than an outsider could possibly connect the unprofessionalism with a book or author.
4) Which is your favorite genre to review?
S: I LOVE contemporary. I will read almost any contemporary.
5) What are your top five favorite books of all time?
S: I'm going to stick to YA:
1. Harry Potter Series
2. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
3. Divergent by Veronica Roth
4. Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers
5. Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott
6) Who is your favorite author? If you had the chance to meet them, what would you say?
S: I actually got to meet my all time favorite author at Book Expo America this year - Ann M. Martin. She wrote The Babysitter's Club, the series of my childhood. I didn't know she was going to be at the conference and when I finally got to meet her I was shaking a little and just told her I loved The Babysitter's Club :)
7) Do you have any quirks while you write your reviews?
S: I don't really have any quirks except that I stop writing the review if it's too hard for me to express my feelings and come back to it later.
8) If you could make a fictional story come alive, which would you pick and why?
S: I'm not sure I can really answer this because I read mainly contemporaries (which are already realistic) and dystopians (and most of those being real would be very scary). The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell would be kind of fun to live (maybe) - everyone gets a H or V on their thumb which shows if they are a hero or villain.
9) Currently, which book cover are you lusting over?
S: I really love Fury by Elizabeth Miles.
10) Which top five blogs do you continually visit?
S: Ah! I have nearly 100 blogs in my reader so this is an awful question. Let's see:
Fiction Folio - One of my good friends from college who I convinced to start blogging
The Story Siren - Love her and she often has fun stuff going on
Bookalicio.us - Pam always tells it like it is
Sophistikatied Reviews - Honestly, even if just for her Fan Art Fridays.
Pure Imagination - Lori's IMM vlogs are my favorite
11) If you had to give advice to a newcomer, what would you tell them about blogging?
S: Do what you love and don't worry about the rest.
- Favorite TV Show? Modern Family or Friday Night Lights
- Favorite guilty pleasure? Red Mountain Dew
- How many books have you bought at once? I've bought bags of books at library sales..
- Judge book by cover or summary? Both, cover initially sadly
- Favorite movie? Fantastic Mr. Fox
- What do you think about e-readers? LOVE them for travel and for ARCs. And now that I live in Nevada and there aren't many bookstores it's nice to know that I can read a book instantly if I really want to.
- Describe yourselves in three words? organized, creative, happy
- Which character would you like to go out on a date with? I asked my husband for help on this one and he said, "Kvothe from Name of the Wind because he has red hair" ...which just shows that he loves Name of the Wind and doesn't help me much. I remember loving Wes from The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, but I guess in truth I don't much think about the boys in YA this way.
Thank you Shanyn for this fun interview!
Make sure you go visit her blog:
Show blogger love by commenting, maybe you have common interests. I'm sure they'd love to hear it. :)